Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thompson Drops Out, No McCain Endorsement

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people."

If Thompson doesn't endorse McCain, who has the most to gain from his withdrawal? There is a clear argument that some social conservatives (the movement types who don't trust McCain-Romney) will move over to Huckabee. On the other hand, Reagan Republicans who want the whole three-legged stool of defense, low taxes, and social conservatism (Romney's terminology, not mine) might go over to McCain or Romney. I guess the question between the two would over style and foreign policy experience. The only clear loser here is Giuliani.

No comments: