Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Walks Win Baseball Games

Since I finished Moneyball a couple of weeks ago, I've been thinking differently about baseball statistics. It doesn't do any justice to the book to boil down it's argument to the importance of on-base percentage, but that's a large part of it. Anyway, because of the emphasis on OBP, I've been keeping my eye on walks in the D-Backs games so far. The season is only 8 games old, but so far the walks have told the tale.

The D-Backs have been out-walked 4 times so far and each of those games were losses. They gave up 16 walks and earned only 6 for themselves, while being outscored 25-9.

The one time the D-Backs have out-walked their opponent was a 9-4 win over the Dodgers (they out-walked them 6-3).

The other three games have been ties (in walks), including tonight's game. The D-Backs are 1-2 in those games, being outscored only 17-16.

I'll keep an eye on walks and their predictive abilities. It was encouraging to see the D-Backs hitters earn 4 walks tonight, but I wonder if they would have managed that had Chris Carpenter not left the game after three innings due to injury.

No comments: